Thursday, May 2, 2013

May Day

I've been looking forward to May Day ever since I heard about it during Orientation week. The thought of this day eventually coming got me through the frost-bite inducing 19-degree weather for the past three or four months. It's hard to believe that my time at DIS is going to be over in a little more than two weeks. When I think back upon my experiences here years and years from now, I'm going to blithely gloss over the peacoat/scarf/two pairs of gloves/layer on everything in my closet weather, and just remember the perfectness of May Day.

May Day is also known as International Worker's Day, but in Denmark, young and old people alike flock over to Faelledparken to enjoy the dawning of spring, listen to speeches,and hang out with friends. Translation: glorious day drinking. Just kidding (except, no really).

I have never seen so many people so naked in Denmark. Look! Forearms!

Even these kiddos are out to have a good time. Except don't look
 in the bushes behind them...there may be a dozen or
 so people peeing in the bushes...

...and I don't blame them. Look at this line!!

Random drum line get-together. Just jammin' and bringing
 on the fun times.


So if you're contemplating coming to Denmark for the Fall semester, good for you. Enjoy the great warm weather and try not to despair as you slowly descend into the dark, glacial winter times AKA finals period. But if you're here for the Spring semester and starting to wonder if things will ever get warmer...look! Evidence! Coldest and longest winter since the 40's in Denmark and yet May Day is still glorious and beautiful. Don't abandon hope. Just grab a blanket, grab a crateful of beers and wine coolers, and get ready to get your tan on. :)


Enjoying May Day! It's the Danish way!


No comments:

Post a Comment