Monday, May 13, 2013

Beginning of the End


I've been swamped these past two weeks with final papers and exams, but with three papers turned in and my only exam out of the way, I'm FREEEEE....to blog. I'm officially done with my time at DIS. It's hard to believe that I've already been in Denmark for four months and a day. With the end in sight (I leave this Friday for London to rendez-vous with my sister), I just want to thank some of the Danes who have made my study abroad experience so great.

First off, to the volunteers at Cafe Paraplyen:

I'm going to miss this cute little green awning...even though
 Comic Sans really should be outlawed.

Every single volunteer at the Cafe, has treated me so well over the past few months. Even though I would drop in and out because of travel breaks, they always greeted me with a smile and made sure I was fed...a lot. I'm definitely going to miss early morning breakfasts with that NASTY-ass cheese and singing hymns before starting the day of work. I was extremely blessed to have the opportunity to interact with both young and older Danes, and even more lucky to catch a rare glimpse of the Danish religious scene. My time spent here has taught me to better appreciate the free-thinking and tolerant ways of the Danes, and has taught me what it means to find fellowship in hard work. 

Mads, washing those dishes like a boss.

Master Chef John showing off the meal of the day.

Preparing the pickled beets for the next day.

I will always remember Cafe Paraplyen, or Cafe Umbrella, as a place that all are welcome -- Danes, Americans, young, old, employed, unemployed, healthy, disabled, gay, straight -- to call home.


I also spent the weekend with the Ehlerns, my visiting family. DIS could not have matched me with a more perfect family. Karina once worked as an au pere very close to where I live in California. When Kristian heard that I love food, he pulled no punches in wowing me at every meal I was invited to in their household. Whether it was lungfish roe on rye bread, crepes, lemon-butter cod, or barbecue roast pork, Kristian does not mess around. Mm. He may be single-handedly responsible for about five of the pounds I gained in Denmark. During the evenings I've spent with the Ehlerns, I've had some of the deepest conversations of my life.


Sitting down for a Saturday morning breakfast.

My visiting brothers are also unbelievably cute. Nielse is always showing me some crazy Parkour video on Youtube. Kalle offers me candies that aren't licorice, bless his heart. And how can I forget my adopted baby, Ofelia. That dog is PRECIOUS, I'm going to miss her so much!

Nielse climbing a tree....

The Ehlerns are going to be visiting the States this summer. They used to be a host family and one of their previous DIS students is hosting them in Maryland. We've made plans to meet up and I can't wait to show them a good time...and a good meal. :) 

Could not have asked for a better Danish family. 


Tak for the memories, Denmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment