Sunday, January 27, 2013

Café Paraplyen


This morning, I went down to Copenhagen to visit Café Paraplyen, my volunteer site, for the first time. I must admit that during the entire hour and a half trip, I entertained thoughts of requesting a site transfer because of the long commute. Getting up early on a Sunday and missing brunch makes me a very Bitter Betty.  However, once I walked into the Café, with its miniature green awnings and little knit hats in the window, I knew that this site was a good match for me. I was greeted by Nina, another volunteer who is responsible for making desserts on Sunday. She introduced me to two other male volunteers working in the kitchen, who unlike her, were not as fluent in English. The setting was very hyggelig ("cozy" in Danish, pronounced kind of like "hooguhly." It's a cute word that sounds like its meaning.), with lit candles and flower arrangements on each small table. I felt like I was walking into a family friend's living room, rather than a kitchen that serves dozens of meals each day. As we waited for Louise, the supervisor, to return from a quick grocery run, I struggled to make small talk with Paol, who had emerged from the kitchen to rearrange the magazines. Our conversation consisted of a few broken phases in English, gestures, and helpless smiles, yet Paol managed to make me feel instantly at home and welcome amongst this small kitchen family.
              
When Louise arrived, I bid the three kitchen volunteers goodbye and followed her upstairs to the office. There, she introduced me to the most delicious apple juice I've ever tasted. It was tart, it was organic, it was glorious...not to mention all proceeds go to support various Café Paraplyens around Denmark. She conducted a short interview that consisted mostly of her ascertaining my volunteer history and availabilities, then she gave me a short overview of the Café's mission.  Café Paraplyen serves discounted meals and provides various activities for the economically and socially challenged. This includes not only the homeless, but also under-served populations such as people with psychiatric disorders or even recently divorced individuals. It is an alcohol and drug-free environment, but with its Christian origins, the Café almost never turns anyone away, regardless of their pasts or histories.
               
It looks like my responsibilities at the Café will include a wide variety of tasks, including helping to prepare meals and desserts, washing dishes, socializing with the guests, and maybe even playing piano for ambiance. I'm a little nervous about the last item, but I did come to Denmark to step out of my comfort zone...

Can't wait to start volunteering this Friday! :)
                

No comments:

Post a Comment